Beppe Grillo’s 5-Star Movement should cut ties with the anti-European Union UK Independence Party (UKIP) and consider hooking up with the Liberals in the European Parliament, Reuters reports.
5-Star founder Beppe Grillo posted on Sunday morning a public poll on his blog, letting the movement’s activists vote if they want to remain with Farage’s EFDD, or join ALDE Group or Not Attached (NI) Group at the European Parliament.
5 Star Movement’s policies have been characterized by their opposition to TTIP, the proposal of a referendum on EURO and other Eurosceptic policies while ALDE Group, led by Guy Verhofstadt (candidate for the Presidency of the European Parliament) is known to be Euro federalist, pro-TTIP and one of the most pro-EU group at EU level.
Negative reactions from activists who commented on blog post:
- “This change is not acceptable without a proper debate;”
- “We can’t fight battle to change Europe alongside with pro-EU and pro-TTIP forces;”
- “Why you didn’t negotiate with Europe of Nation and Freedom?”
- “There haven’t been any kind of participation of our elected-Members of the European Parliament;”
- “We should have had a public debate before!”
- “This is the end of 5 Star Movement;”