“The (Muslim) Brotherhood has returned to kill the Christians in Egypt,” the California Saint Antony Eastern Orthodox Coptic monastery’s Father Mosa told Fox News. “But the future is in the hands of Christ.”
“Every time I go back it is getting worse and worse,” Wahid Boctor, an Egyptian-American added. “Christianity in Egypt and the Arab world will not last for long.”
“The Christians of Iraq and the Middle East have faced some of the harshest genocides by numerous adversaries through history,” Steven Nabil, an Assyrian Christian said. “But they have carried the cross with pride and pain.”
Pope Francis will visit Egypt on 28 and 29 April and it would be the occasion to make a stand in defense of persecuted Christians.
Egypt‘s President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi has announced a three-month state of emergency after attacks on two Coptic churches that left at least 44 dead. The measure allows authorities to make arrests without warrants and search people’s homes. It needs to be approved by parliament before it is implemented.
In the last month, hundreds of members of Egypt’s Coptic Christian minority have fled the Sinai Peninsula to Ismailia city, 115km northeast of the capital Cairo, following a series of killings by a local ISIS armed group.
An Egyptian Christian was burned alive by ISIS in northeastern Sinai, according to an Egyptian security source who specified that the alleged ISIS jihadists used a firearm to kill another Coptic Christian.
While in December 25 Christians were killed in a deadly attack against St Mark’s Cathedral, the main Coptic Christian church in Egypt.