After the case of the opposition newspaper Today’s Zaman took over by the Turkish authorities, many other freedom restrictions have occurred in Turkey without having the same attention in the media:
- Turkish government asked for the prosecution of a German comedian for performing a satirical poem about its president.
- Turkish journalists released from jail after court rules press freedom violated.
- Professors go on trial in Turkey.
The EU and Turkey signed a deal in March to send back to Turkey illegal migrants despite the criticism over Turkey’s behavior:
- The European Parliament against EU deal with Turkey
- New York Times: Turkey’s membership in NATO is getting harder to justify
- Sarkozy: Anyone who says Turkey is European country wants EU’s death
- Russia’s media: EU Turns Blind Eye to Turkey Media Freedom Restrictions Amid Refugee Crisis
- Turkey deal is a ‘spectacular EU failure:’ Greek ruling party MEP