During an official visit to Serbia, the President of the Republic of Italy Sergio Mattarella officially stated the support of Italy to Serbia’s membership of the European Union. (RaiNews)
Road to Serbia’s EU membership, milestones:
- Serbia – along with 5 other Western Balkans countries – was identified as a potential candidate for EU membership during the Thessaloniki European Council summit in 2003.
- In 2008, a European partnership for Serbia was adopted, setting out priorities for the country’s membership application.
- In 2009 Serbia formally applied.
- In March 2012 Serbia was granted EU candidate status. In September 2013 a Stabilisation and Association Agreement between the EU and Serbia entered into force.
- In line with the decision of the European Council in June 2013 to open accession negotiations with Serbia, the Council adopted in December 2013 the negotiating framework and agreed to hold the 1st Intergovernmental Conference with Serbia in January 2014.
- On 21 January 2014, the 1st Intergovernmental Conference took place, signaling the formal start of Serbia’s accession negotiations.