New attack against Christians in Egypt: three homes burned and eight injured as Christian villagers in Upper Egypt are attacked

A mob of radical Muslims burned three Christian homes and injured eight Christians, including two women, in the village of Kom El-Loufy, located in Egypt’s Minya Governorate. The attack took place on Thursday, April 13, shortly after the Christian villagers held a prayer service in a local Christian’s home. 

 “A mob of Muslims gathered and began to attack us and our homes after the morning preyers,” a Christian eyewitness, who wished to remain anonymous, told International Christian Concern. They hurled stones at our homes and set fire on three houses owned by Christians. They also injured two Christian women named Amel Rizk, whose arm was broken, and Camelia Sawiris, whose leg was broken. Six other Christian men were injured.

Egypt‘s President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi has announced a three-month state of emergency after attacks on two Coptic churches that left at least 44 dead last week.

Pope Francis is expected to visit Egypt on 28 and 29 April. “Egypt trip gives Francis a chance to stand with suffering Christians,” writes Vatican analyst John J. Allen. “If Pope Francis does indeed go to Egypt to visit Al-Azhar, he may need to make sure that any detente with the Sunni Muslim center includes clear insistence that the country’s Christian minority must be protected. Otherwise, local Christians may see the visit as providing cover for their persecution,” he says.