A team of journalists from 45 countries has unearthed secret bank accounts maintained for criminals, traffickers, tax dodgers, politicians and celebrities. This investigation, led by ICIJ, involved also 45 other newspapers and magazines like: Le Monde, Guardian, Suddeutsche Zeitung, BBC and L’Espresso.
Among the names circulating on the list, there are:
- King Mohammed VI of Morocco
- Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa of Bahrain
- Russian oligarch Gennady Timchenko
- Rami Makhlouf, cousin of Bashar Al Assad
- Top model Elle MacPherson
- F1 pilots Fernando Alonso and Heikki Kovalainen
- Singer Phil Collins
- Stilist Valentino
It should be underlined that having money in Switzerland is not illegal but you need to declare it to the competent national authority.
Hervé Falciani, the Franco-Italian systems engineer and HSBC whistle blower, started to work along with Podemos in order to write part of its political manifesto ahead to the Spanish national elections. (El Diario)